Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Franklin Springs



Marker ID: GHM 059-9
Location: Town Hall, US 29, Franklin Springs
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 34° 17.059    W 083° 8.751
  34.284316    -83.14585
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7JJ2
The Franklin Springs Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

For the first hundred years. Franklin Springs existed as a famous health resort. The Springs as well as the Country, was named for Benjamin Franklin. Three types of water flowed strongly from these springs, mineral, sulphur and freestone. Preceding the Civil War the area was famous watering place into the 20th century it continued to be a gathering place for the sick and invalid who sought cure through its mineral water. Later, social life became more of an attraction than its healing waters. By 1917 there were two hotels, a skating rink and two pavilions. The nationality famous Methodist evangelist Lorenzo Dow spoke to large crowds under these trees in 1802 and 1803. On February 22 1803, the site was purchased by the Pentecostal Benevolent Association consisting of G.O. Gaines, Perry Sexton, Hugh Bowling, Josiah Allen, John W. Jordan and Joseph C. Sorrow. It became the home of Franklin Springs Institute, now Emmanuel College.

GHM 059-9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER 1981




The Franklin Springs
Photo by Ken Moser



 

059-9