Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historical Franklin Springs



Marker ID:  
Location: Spring Street south of West Main Street (U.S. 29) near Turner St., Franklin Springs, GA
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 34° 16.917    W 083° 08.778
  34.28195    -83.1463
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGADN
Historical Franklin Springs Marker
Photo by Markerman



Text:

Site of the home of Rev. John Martin Turner, born September 12, 1891, and Mrs. Olivia Jackson Turner, born April 5, 1893, a teacher at Holmes College of the Bible. They were married July 7, 1920. The Turners were the first missionaries of the Pentecostal Holiness Church to India. They sailed October 31, 1920, and established the first church in Jasidih, India, in 1922.

Their home was erected in the late 1800's of hand-hewn, pegged timbers. It was enlarged in F. M. Britton, a pioneer minister, then occupied in 1941 by the Turner Family, upon their return from India, until August 1984.

Adjacent to this property is the site of the No. 2. Hotel. South of this site stood Hotel No. 1, and the Skating Rink, all of the original Franklin Springs purchased by the church in 1919 and on which Emmanuel College now stands



 
Notes:

There are two Historical Franklin Springs markers

 

059-A02