Historic Markers Across Georgia



Grant Park



Marker ID: GHM 060-107
Location: Cherokee Ave and Georgia Ave at park entrance, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 44.039    W 084° 22.407
  33.733983    -84.37345
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM17EN
Grant Park  Marker  



Text:

Named for Col. Lemuel P. Grant (1817-1893), pioneer railroad builder and public-spirited citizen of Atlanta, who donated to the city 87.5 of this area for a park May 17, 1883. An additional 44 acres acquired by purchase from Col. Grant, increased it to 131.5 acres April 4, 1890.

Grant Park has the national distinction of being the location of one of the few extant cycloramas -- the subject of which memorializes the major engagement fought by Confederate and Federal forces in the environs of the city -- the Battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864.

GHM 060-107 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1983



 

 

060-107