Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Walker



Marker ID: GHM 060-108
Location: Grant Park, Boulevard and Atlanta Ave, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 43.826    W 084° 22.111
  33.730433    -84.36851
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1Y8B
Fort Walker  Marker  



Text:

Southeastern salient of Atlanta´s inner line of fortifications erected during the Summer & Fall of 1863. The line consisted of a cordon of redoubts on hills connected by rifle pits encircling the city, aggregating some 10.5 miles of earthworks designed & supervised by Col. L. P. Grant, pioneer citizen, construction engineer & railroad builder of Atlanta.

After 93 years, it is one of a few remnants of a line that withstood the quartering steel & climbing fire of Federal armies forty-two days -- evacuated only when the remaining R.R. was cut. The fort was named for Maj. General W.H.T. Walker, killed in the Battle of Atlanta.

GHM 060-108 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

060-108