Historic Markers Across Georgia



Where Hood Watched the Battle of Atlanta



Marker ID: GHM 060-109
Location: North part of Oakland Cemetery
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 44.971    W 084° 22.382
  33.749516    -84.37303
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM203W
Where Hood Watched the Battle of Atlanta  Marker  



Text:

In 1856 James E. Williams (Mayor of Atlanta 1866-1868), built a residence atop this high ground which later became a part of Oakland Cemetery. From the second story of the house, Gen. John B. Hood, in command of Confederate forces, & members of his staff, watched that part of the Battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864, where Brown´s & Clayton´s divs., Cheatham´s A.C. [CSA], moved eastward astride the Ga. R.R. to the assault on the Federal 15th A.C. line also astride the R.R. -- at DeGress Ave., 1 1/4 mi. distant.

A notable landmark of this area -- the Rolling Mill -- stood on the site of the cotton mill.

GHM 060-106 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

060-109