Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Mt. Gilead Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 060-111A
Location: At the Mt. Gilead church on Fairburn Rd north of Redwine Rd, Atlanta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 40.164    W 084° 30.926
  33.6694    -84.51543
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM45C2
Historic Mt. Gilead Methodist Church  Marker  



Text:

One of the first churches in Fulton County, Mt Gilead was founded April 23, 1824, by Rev. John M. Smith (1789-1863) who is buried here. It was organized by Rev. William J. Parks. Many early settlers worshiped here and their descendants still live nearby. During the War Between the States the church was used by Confederate and Federals as a hospital. Confederate cavalry under Ross were here, August 15-16: McDowell´s Confederate Scouts August 22, 1864. On Sunday, August 28, 1864, a skirmish took place here as fragments of the Federal 2nd Division, Army of the Cumberland, moved toward Jonesboro. The church has been rebuilt several times.

GHM 060-111A - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1956



 

 

060-111A