Historic Markers Across Georgia



The March to the Sea



Marker ID: GHM 060-117
Location: Atlanta City Hall, Washington St near Mitchell St
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 44.922    W 084° 23.377
  33.7487    -84.38961
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM20CP
The March to the Sea  Marker  



Text:

On Nov. 15, 1864 after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the north, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah - the march to the Sea. He divided his Army [US] (60,000 infantry and artillery and 5,500 cavalry into two wings, one to move via McDonough and Monticello to Gordon, feinting at Macon, the other via Covington and Madison, feinting at Augusta.

The right wing (15th and 17th Corps), Maj. Gen. O. O. Howard, USA, marched from bivouac areas in the vicinity of White Hall (West End) early that morning, the 15th Corp toward Jonesboro, the 17th Corp. toward McDonough. The 3rd Cavalry Division, Brig. Gen. J. L. Kilpatrick, USA, covered the right wing.

The left wing (14th and 20th Corp), Maj. Gen. H. W. Slocum, USA, marched from bivouac areas in and around Atlanta, the 20th Corps. to Stone Mountain on the 15th and the 14th Corps, accompanied by General Sherman and his staff, to Lithonia the next day. The Provost Guard (2nd and 33rd Massachusetts and 111th Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Infantry) was the last unit to leave Atlanta, marching behind the 14th Corps on Nov. 16th.

During the four days preceding the departure, the work of destruction had been so thorough that when General Sherman mounted his horse, here at the John Neal house, early on Nov. 16th, his Chief Engineer, Capt. Orlando M. Poe. CE, stated that "for military purposes the city of Atlanta has ceased to exist".

GHM 060-117 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1957



 

 

060-117