Historic Markers Across Georgia



East Point



Marker ID: GHM 060-118
Location: Main St just N of Cleveland St by MARTA tracks, East Point
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 40.723    W 084° 26.404
  33.678716    -84.44006
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7CDM
East Point  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

East Point owes its origins to an 1847 Act incorporation the Atlanta and LaGrange Railroad (now Atlanta and West point). The charter stated its eastern terminus should be at a convenient point on the Macon and Western railroad (now Central of Georgia) between "the City of Griffin and the Town of Atlanta". This exact spot is marked by a bronze disk set in a short concrete post.

East point´s charter, approved August 10, 1887, established the limits of the town from this point ~ North ¾ mile, South 5/8 mile, east and west ½ miles forming a parallelogram 1 3/8 miles long (north and south) and 1 mile wide (east and west).

GHM 060-118 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1957



 

 

060-118