Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sardis Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 060-119
Location: At the church on Powers Ferry Rd just NW of Roswell Rd, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 51.429    W 084° 23.051
  33.85715    -84.38418
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5JX0
Sardis Methodist Church  Marker  



Text:

Sardis Methodist Church is built on land taken from the Indians by Sy Donaldson and given to the church before this section of the State had been surveyed -- when land was platted by beeswax string, and there were no deeds. Believed to date from 1812, this church antedates the three counties (Henry, DeKalb and Fulton) that have contained this tract of land. In early days Sardis Methodist Church was on a circuit with preaching every two weeks -- on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Earliest known pastors were Lane and Owens. Marked graves in the cemetery date from the 1830´s.

Four church buildings have stood on this site: a little log cabin; a two-story wooden structure built by the members and destroyed by a cyclone; a third church building erected with the help of Sardis Lodge No. 107 F. and A. M., who used the second floor as a meeting place; and the present edifice, built in the 1920´s, in the style of 1812.

Come of the church roll today are descendants of charter members. Four families have belonged for four generations and seven have been members for three generations.

GHM 060-119 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

060-119