Historic Markers Across Georgia



Union Defense Line



Marker ID: GHM 060-128
Location: Off of Northgate Dr at the Lovett School, on road east of traffic circle (1st street), Atlanta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 51.509    W 084° 27.020
  33.858483    -84.45033
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2D1V
Union Defense Line  Marker  



Text:

In August 1864, after four weeks of siege operations, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman withdrew his forces to move them secretly around Atlanta on a wide circuit beyond East Point and destroy the railroad at Jonesboro. He had found Atlanta´s fortifications to strong to assault, and so long as the railroads could supply the Confederate Army of Tennessee, they could hold the city.

Late on the 25th, before moving the rest of his army, Sherman withdrew the 20th corps from his siege line to positions near the river to protect his supplies and communications. William´s division, in the center, covered the railroad bridge (Bolton). Ward´s division covered Turner´s Ferry (Bankhead Highway bridge), Geary´s division covered Pace´s Ferry, his three brigades abreast. His right joined with William´s left north of Peachtree Creek.

Ireland´s brigade (N.Y. and PA Troops) and Bundy´s 13th N.Y. Battery occupied this line. Believing that Sherman had given up hope of taking Atlanta, and that Ireland was posted here to cover a retreat across the river at Pace´s Ferry, Confederate cavalry began attaching him here at noon on the 26th. Repeated assaults failing, they finally withdrew, their forces being too small to carry these strong, well-manned earthworks.

GHM 060-128 - Georgia Historical Commission - 1984



 
Notes:

Located at Lovett School on road east of traffic circle. Sign is hard to see from the road. It is located across the street from the Lovett Recycling center.

 

060-128