Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sandtown



Marker ID: GHM 060-129
Location: Fulton Industrial Blvd at Boat Rock Rd
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 43.5225    W 084° 34.986
  33.725375    -84.5831
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM311P
Sandtown  Marker  



Text:

Sand Town (Oktahatalofa) and Buzzard Roost (Sulecauga) were two frontier Creek Indian communities here on the Chattahoochee River.
The old Sand Town Trail extended westward to the Coosa River in Alabama and eastward into what is now DeKalb County.

The land which is contained in this 14th L.L. District was ceded by the Creek Indians to Georgia in 1821 and was part of originally Fayette (1821-1828), then Campbell (1828-1931), and now Fulton County. On September 2, 1828, a U.S. Post Office was established at this focal point on the old stage route. Joseph H. Coryell was the first settler who on May 1, 1834, purchased the land which was to become Sandtown Plantation.

During the War Between the States this area was defended by the Confederate Cavalry [CSA] of Jackson´s Division. On August 15, 1864, Kilpatrick´s Cavalry of the Federal Army of the Cumberland [USA] captured Sandtown and used it as a base for subsequent raids. General Sherman ordered a bridge built across the river at this point and maintained Sandtown as a communications base in the swinging of his Union forces around this S.W. quadrant of Hood´s defenses to strike at Jonesboro.

GHM 060-129 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 19628



 

 

060-129