Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Exterior Line July-August 1864



Marker ID: GHM 060-136
Location: Cascade Ave at Ralph David Abernathy Street (GA 139), Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 44.333    W 084° 25.985
  33.738883    -84.43308
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3ZDB
The Exterior Line July-August 1864  Marker  



Text:

When Federal forces East of Atlanta were shifted to the West side, to move against the Macon and the West Point railroads (entering the city from the S.W.), the Confederate defenders intrenched a line W. of a parallel to them.

This line began at W. Fair and Ashby Sts. and ran west to and beyond this point, ending at the Ga. Military Academy in College Park.

Siege operations (July 28 - Aug. 25) were barren of results and ceased with transfer of Federal forces S. to Fairburn & Jonesboro, where the seizure of the railroads and the consequent evacuation of Atlanta, ended the campaign.

GHM 060-136 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

 

060-136