Historic Markers Across Georgia



Davis' Hill



Marker ID: GHM 060-137
Location: Bankhead Highway at Chappell Rd, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 46.286    W 084° 26.022
  33.771433    -84.4337
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6CFK
Davis' Hill Marker  



Text:

The hill N. of the Chapel Rd. intersection was thus named after occupation & intrenching by Gen. J.C. Davis´ 2d Div., 14th A.C., July 22, when the Army of the Cumberland [Union] moved up from Peachtree Cr. to the siege line facing the N. sector of Atlanta´s defenses. Davis´ position here formed the Right of the siege until July 28.

From this hill Sherman directed Howard (com´d´g. Army of the Tenn., vice McPherson deceased) to align his 3 corps -- the 15th, 16th, & 17th -- S. along Chapel Rd., facing E. the shift of these troops from the E. to the W. side of Atlanta, began a move upon the 2 remaining railroads.

GHM 060-137 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

 

060-137