Historic Markers Across Georgia



West Side Siege Line



Marker ID: GHM 060-140
Location: Chappell Rd just south of Simpson Rd, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.778    W 084° 26
  33.762966    -84.43333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6CFP
West Side Siege Line  Marker  



Text:

Howard´s Army of the Tennessee (3 corps), which had fought East of Atlanta July 22, were shifted to this area West of the city, July 27, 28, 1864. Dodge´s 16th and Blair´s 17th A.C. were aligned along Chapel Road which, in 1864, led South West directly to Ezra Church (MOZLEY PARK), where the line was prolonged westward by the 15th corps. This shift of Federal forces was a thrust at the 2 railroads entering the city from the South West at East Point. After the Battle of Ezra Church, July 28, siege operations were pushed East toward Atlanta by these troops, together with the 14th and 23d corps, which prolonged the line South. to the Campbellton Road.

GHM 060-140 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

060-140