Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of Ezra Church



Marker ID: GHM 060-143
Location: Mozley Park, Martin Luther King Dr, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.192    W 084° 26.211
  33.7532    -84.43685
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
Site of Ezra Church  Marker
Photo by ??



Text:

Here stood the little framed edifice known as Ezra Church (Methodist), on a half-acre plot deeded by James and Nancy Coursey to the trustees Oct. 31, 1853. As a landmark, its name was given to the battle fought here July 28, 1864.

Col. Hugo Wangelin´s brigade, Woods´ division 15th A. C. [US] was posted here during the battle and lacking intrenchments, fought behind a barricade of benches removed from the church.

During Federal siege operations after the battle, the church was demolished. Miss Sarah Huff, who visited the site the following December, recalled seeing the carcasses of the horses still on the frozen ground.

GHM 060-143 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1958



 

 

060-143