Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Federal Salient



Marker ID: GHM 060-144
Location: Laurel Ave and Archer St, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.055    W 084° 26.417
  33.750916    -84.44028
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

July 28, 1864. The north east corner of Laurel and Archer was the location of a salient angle in the line of Logan´s 15th Corps troops (Federal) in the Battle of Ezra Church. North West from the angle, HARROW´S and M. L. smith´s division was deployed North East along the old LICK SKILLET road (no longer there), to EZRA CHURCH, (South East corner Mozley Park) and beyond, where it joined the Right of the 17th Corp.

Clayton´s division (S, D. Lee´s A. C.) attacked the angle with GIBSON´S BAKER´S and HOLTZLAW´S brigades [Confederate]. This was the Right of the Confederate Line. The post-war structure, Battle Hill School stood at the South East corner of Laurel Ave. and Archer Street.

GHM 060-144 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1958



 

 

060-144