Historic Markers Across Georgia



Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C.



Marker ID: GHM 060-145
Location: Elixir at Wellington Streets, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 44.923    W 084° 26.301
  33.748716    -84.43835
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3ZBV
Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. Marker  



Text:

July 28, 1864. Dep1oyed a1ong the old Greensferry Road (West View Drive) Giboson´s Holtzclaw´s and Baker´s brigades (Alabana and Louisiana troops), Clayton´s division, forming the right flank of General S.D. Lee´s A. C. [Confederate] in the Battle Of Ezja Church.

Moving northward in the heavily wooded area their assault fell upon the Federal line at. the salient angle (at Laurel and Archer. St.), occupied by the left flank, Logan´s 15th A. C. Unsupported on the left and counter-attacked in front, Clayton´s troops withdrew after two attempts to dislodge the Federals. Loring´s division, Stewart´s A. C., deployed in this vicinity was not ordered into the battle.

GHM 060-145 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1985



 
Notes:

Duplicate cast and ready installation at at the SE corner of Laurel and Westview.as of Dec. 2000

 

060-145N