Historic Markers Across Georgia



Atlanta Women's Club



Marker ID: GHM 060-149A
Location: 1150 Peachtree Street, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 47.170    W 084° 22.988
  33.786166    -84.38313
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2XTP
Atlanta Women's Club Marker  



Text:

The Atlanta Women´s Club, organized November 11, 1895, was inspired by a council meeting in Atlanta of the General Federation of Women´s Clubs during the Cotton States and International Exposition. Mrs. Rebecca Douglas Lowe was founder and first president of this Club whose object is "threefold ~ social, literary and humanitarian". On October 27, 1896, the Atlanta Woman´s Club was hostess to organized women´s clubs in Georgia to form the State Federation. Meetings have been held at the home of the founder, the deGive Opera House, the Club´s first home at 17 Baker Street and the present clubhouse, purchased in 1919 and extensively enlarged since then.


GHM 060-149A - Georgia Historical Commission - 1956



 

 

060-149A