Historic Markers Across Georgia



Shadnor Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 060-169
Location: at the church on Westbrook Rd (across tracks from US 29), Union City
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 34.993    W 084° 32.9595
  33.583216    -84.54932
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM45BZ
Shadnor Baptist Church  Marker  



Text:

Organized in 1840 as the New Hope Baptist Church; named changed to Shadnor, 1853. The original log structure that stood a short distance north of present one, was a prominent landmark during the foray of Federal forces to cut the West Point R. R. in this vicinity, and the Macon R. R. at and near Jonesboro ~~ August 1864. On the 28th and 29th, several miles of the A. & W. P. R. R. [Atlanta and West Point Rail Road] were destroyed as was Shadnor Baptist Church.

On August 30, 31, the Federal armies moved East towards Jonesboro, Howard´s Army of the Tennessee from Shadnor via Bethsaida Church; the 14th A.C. from Red Oak via Shoal Creek Ch.: the 4th and 23rd from Red Oak to Rough and Ready.

GHM 060-169 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1958



 

 

060-169