Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Owl Rock Church



Marker ID: GHM 060-189
Location: Campbellton Rd just below Camp Creek Parkway
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 41.931    W 084° 34.803
  33.69885    -84.58005
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3ZHZ
Historic Owl Rock Church  Marker  



Text:

Owl Rock Church was founded in 1828 by Richmond Barge and other members of the Mutual Rights faction that withdrew from the Mount Gilead Methodist Church. The church is named for am eight foot natural rock closely resembling and Owl which is in the rear of the building.

This church has taken for distinct phases of Georgia Methodism in Georgia: as an Associated Methodist Church, 1828-1830; as a Methodist Protestant Church, 1830-1916; as a Methodist Episcopal Church, South, 1916-1939; and since 1939 a Methodist Church. The annual Conference session of the Methodist Protestant Church was held here in the year 1900.

During the Battle of Atlanta many skirmishes were fought in the area and the church is mentioned frequently in the OFFICAIL RECORDS. Following the War Between the States the church sponsored an elementary public school. In 1921 the Sandtown School was created as a consolidation of the Owl Rock, Boat Rock and Sandtown schools.

GHM 060-189 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1960



  Historic Markers Across Georgia
 
The Historic Owl Rock Church
Historic Owl Rock Church

Owl Rock Methodist is located at
5880 Campbellton Rd, SW, Fulton County, Ben Hill, GA.



For more information visit:
Wikipedia - History of Atlanta
Biography of Richmond Barge
Historic Marker DB - Historic Owl Rock Church
 
Owl Rock
 
Owl Rock
Owl Rock

 





 

060-189