Historic Markers Across Georgia



Montgomery Cemetery



Marker ID: GHM 060-190
Location: On west side of Marietta Blvd 1-4 mile south of Bolton Rd, Atlanta.
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 49.161    W 084° 27.102
  33.81935    -84.4517
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6CG6
Montgomery Cemetery  Marker  



Text:

On the rise above this marker is the family cemetery of Major J. M. C Montgomery (1770-1842) probably the first white man to settle permanently in what is now Fulton County. A soldier in the War of 1812, Montgomery served under Lt. George R. Gilmer (later Congressman and Governor of Georgia) during 1813-14 at Fort Gilmer [see note], at the Standing Peachtree, adjacent to the mouth of Peachtree Creek.

Settling here about l82O, he acquired farm lands on both sides of the Chattahoochee River, those on the west bank lying in what was still the Cherokee Nation. In addition to his activities as a solder and farmer, Montgomery served subsequently as Justice of the Peace, Postmaster, Census Taker, Presbyterian Church Trustee, Tax Collector, Tax Receiver, Sheriff, Indian Agent and Legislator. On Dec. 25, 1837, he was authorized to establish a ferry across the Chattahoochee River at the Standing Peachtree (Bolton). Montgomery´s (later DeFoor´s) Ferry at the site of the Seaboard Air Line RR Bridge became "noted crossing place over the Chattahoochee" and the name persists in Montgomery Ferry Drive in Atlanta. The Montgomery family cemetery is one of the oldest authentic landmarks In this area.

GHM 060-190 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1961



 
Notes:

Historic Marker GHM 060-61 (Fort Peach Tree) refers to the fort at the month of Peachtree Creek as Fort Peach Tree rather then Fort Gilmer. The marker is off the shoulder in the trees and is not easily visible from the road.

 

060-190B