Historic Markers Across Georgia



Saint Luke's Episcopal Church 1864-1964



Marker ID: GHM 060-193
Location: 435 Peachtree St, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.980    W 084° 23.119
  33.766333    -84.38531
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM28XR
Saint Luke's Episcopal Church 1864-1964 Marker  



Text:

The Rev Charles Todd Quintard, Surgeon and priest severing as chaplain in the Confederate Army, organized St. Luke´s Parish Easter Monday, March 28, 1864. Confederate troops erected first building on the south side of Walton Street, between Broad and Forsyth Streets. Consecrated April 22, 1864, by Bishop Stephen Elliott, first Bishop of Diocese of Georgia. There Quintard conducted funeral services for Episcopal Bishop and General Leonidas K. Polk. During the burning of Atlanta, building was consumed by fire. On June 12, 1870, the parish reorganized with name of St. Stephen´s in honor of Bishop Stephen Elliott. January 3, 1872, the vestry made St. Luke´s rebirth official by voting that "the present name of St. Stephen´s be changed to that formerly held ~ St. Luke´s." Church erected in 1875 at Spring and Walton streets and on April 10, 1881, The Right Rev. John W. Beckwith took charge of this as his cathedral, thus making it the first building in the Diocese of Georgia so designated. A new building erected in 1863, bore cathedral status until 1894. This present structure dates from 1906. In 100 years there have been 17 rectors, 6 of whom have been Episcopal Bishops.

GHM 060-193 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1964



 

 

060-193