Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Ground



Marker ID: GHM 060-2
Location: Washington St. on NW corner of State Capitol Square, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 44.988    W 084° 23.310
  33.7498    -84.3885
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2042
Historic Ground  Marker  



Text:

Atlanta´s first City Hall stood here 1853-1883. Used jointly by Fulton county courts.

During Atlanta´s occupation - Sept. to Nov. 1864 - the 2nd Mass. Regiment, constituting the Provost Guard of Sherman´s army, camped in a park on this site.

From here, Sept. 6, 1864, went notice to the civilian population of Atlanta to assembly for registration and evacuation.

Present State Capitol begun 1884; completed 1889. Commissioners turned back $118.43 of a $1,000,000 building appropriation.

GHM 060-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1952



 

 

060-2