Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Campbell County



Marker ID: GHM 060-24A
Location: Old Campbell County Courthouse, E. Broad St, Fairburn
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 34.025    W 084° 34.789
  33.567083    -84.57981
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM45BJ
Old Campbell County  Marker  



Text:

Fulton County Jan. 1, 1932. When the County was created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 20 & 22, 1828, the site was at Campbellton on the Chattahoochee but it was moved to Fairburn in 1870. The county was named for Col. Duncan C. Campbell, one of the signers of the Treaty made at Indian Springs in 1825 by which the Creeks ceded much of the land that later made up Campbell County. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Nathaniel Nickolson; Clerk of Superior Court Littleberry Watts; Clerk of Inferior Court Gambril White; Coroner Isaac Calhoun and Surveyor Shadrach Green.

GHM 060-24A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



 

 

060-24A