Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Milton County



Marker ID: GHM 060-25A
Location: Alpharetta City Hall on Ga 9 in Alpharetta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 34° 04.513    W 084° 17.665
  34.075216    -84.29441
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2VK0
Old Milton County  Marker  



Text:

This was the Courthouse of Milton County at the time it was merged with Fulton County Jan. 1, 1932. When the County was created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 18, 1857, it was named for Homer V. Milton, General in the War of 1812, though some claim the name was for his ancestor John Milton, first Secretary of State of Georgia. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff James C. Mitchell; Clerk of Superior Court Joseph W. Johnston; Clerk of Inferior Court John L. Moore; Ordinary Oliver P. Skelton; Tax Receiver Barnabas B. Johnson; Tax Collector John K.C. Shirley; Treasurer John P. Reaves; Coroner H.W. Paris and Surveyor William Young.

GHM 060-25A - Georgia Historical Commission - 1955



 

 

060-25A