Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Army Command Changed



Marker ID: GHM 060-3
Location: Mead Paper Co, 950 West Marietta, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 47.017    W 084° 25.086
  33.783616    -84.4181
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WM2BAY
Confederate Army Command Changed  Marker
Photo by GA Cacher



Text:

Near here the command and tactics of the Confederate Army were changed July 18th 1864.

Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman (Union) had been trying for months to force Gen. Joseph E. Johnston (CSA) to abandon delaying tactics and face overwhelming odds in open battle. Gen. John Bell Hood took command of the Confederate Army on the above date and daringly went out to meet the Union forces. Atlanta fell after bitter fighting. There are 55 original Confederate cannon balls in the adjacent U.D.C. marker.

GHM 060- 03 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1953



 

 

060-3