Historic Markers Across Georgia



Collier's Mill



Marker ID: GHM 060-39
Location: Collier Rd at Redland Rd, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 48.607    W 084° 24.130
  33.810116    -84.40216
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMYC4
Collier's Mill Marker  



Text:

150 ft. down stream, on the right bank of Tanyard Branch, stood an ante-bellum grist mill built & operated by Andrew J. Collier, pioneer resident of this area. (1827-1887).

A notable landmark at the time of the Battle of Peachtree Creek - July 20, 1864.

It stood, not only at the center of Federal troop alignment along Collier Rd., but was the storm-center of the conflict that raged here, since the stream valley was a strategic approach to the Federal center toward which the Confederate forces (Walthall´s & Loring´s divisions of Stewart´s Corps) made their heaviest attacks.

060-39 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

Collier's Mill


 

060-39