Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Hiram Embry Plantation



Marker ID: GHM 060-47
Location: Channing Dr just east of Howell Mill Rd, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 48.474    W 084° 24.725
  33.8079    -84.41208
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2HMJ
The Hiram Embry Plantation  Marker  



Text:

500 ft. West stood the ante-bellum residence of Hiram H. Embry (1805-1877), a notable landmark during the battle of Peachtree Cr.

At 4 P.M., July 20, 1864, Walthall´s div. [Confederate] advanced North on this road to attack the Federal line above Collier Road -- Reynolds´ brigade on left, Cantey´s (O´Neal´s) on right. Deploying at old Mt. Zion Church, the brigades came up abreast.

In maintaining alignment on the right with Loring´s division, [Confederate] both brigades swung Eastward -- a move that diverted Reynolds´ troops across the road near the Embry house and directed its assault toward the re-entrant angle of the Federal line across the deep ravine.

GHM 060-47 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 195?



 

 

060-47