Historic Markers Across Georgia



Roswell Factory



Marker ID: GHM 060-4A
Location: Sloan and Mill Streets, Roswell
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 34° 00.920    W 084° 21.670
  34.015333    -84.36116
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMZF2
Roswell Factory  Marker  



Text:

Chattahoochee River water power caused Roswell King to establish a town her in 1837. He had a cotton mill in operation by 1839.

By 1853 two cotton mills, a woolen mill, flour mill, and tannery were in operation, employing two hundred and fifty hands. In 1864 Sherman burned the mills, and skilled female operatives were sent north to deprive the south of their services.

The mills were rebuilt after the war and have been in continuous operation.

060-4A Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 
Notes:

For more information on the history of Roswell, GA:

History of Roswell, GA

Roswell Historic District


 

060-4A