Historic Markers Across Georgia



Second Oldest D.A.R. Chapter



Marker ID: GHM 060-4B
Location: Piedmont Ave just south of 15th St, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 47.269    W 084° 22.687
  33.787816    -84.37811
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2XTG
Second Oldest D.A.R. Chapter  Marker  



Text:

This is the Atlanta Chapter D.A.R organized April 15, 1891, oldest Chapter in Georgia, second oldest in the National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution. Mrs Henry Jackson was the first Regent.

Meetings were held in private homes and in the State Capitol, until 1895 when "Craigie House" the Massachusetts Sate Building at the Cotton State Exposition was presented to the Chapter. It was sold in 1909 and this new "Craigie House" was built in 1911.

GHM 060-4B - Georgia Historical Commission - 1953



 

 

060-4B