Historic Markers Across Georgia



Garrard's Cav. & Newton's Division



Marker ID: GHM 060-5
Location: Azalea Dr just west of Atlanta St Roswell Rd, Roswell
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 34° 00.283    W 084° 21.181
  34.004716    -84.35301
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1W02
Garrard's Cav. & Newton's Division Marker  



Text:

July 9, 1864. Roswell bridge, having been destroyed by the retreating Confederates, Garrard´s cav. [Union] waded the river at Shallow Ford in face of opposition from the south side.

Wilder´s brigade (Miller, commanding) led off -- its 4 regiments abreast as skirmishers, followed by the 3 regiments of Minty´s brigade. The ridge, 300 yds. S. of the river, was seized, intrenched & held by Garrard´s troopers until relieved at dusk by Newton´s 4th A.C. div. which had moved up from Vining´s Station. Newton, in turn, was relieved by Dodge´s 16th A.C. [Union], July 10. Dodge´s engineers built 2 bridges.

060-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 
Notes:

For more information on the history of Roswell, GA:

History of Roswell, GA

Roswell Historic District


 

060-5