Historic Markers Across Georgia



Outer Defense Line



Marker ID: GHM 060-50
Location: White St at Howell Mill Rd, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 48.090    W 084° 24.925
  33.801500    -84.415417
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM608R
Outer Defense Line  Marker  



Text:

News of Federal crossings of the Chattahoochee July 17, 1864 prompted the building of a defense line N & E of Atlanta, by the forces of Gen. Hood, C.S.A., who assumed command July 18. The E. - W. line crossed Howell Mill Rd. here. Gen. AP Stewart´s A. C. [Confederate] occupied this sector, French´s division W. (army left flank, Casey´s Hill). Waithall´s, at center, Loring´s, to the eastward. July 20. After line adjustment, Waithall´s division, astride Howell Mill Road, moved N. (about 4 p.m.) to attack the Federal 20th A. C. Reynold´s brigade was W. of the road O´Neal´s east of it. Loring´s division (E. of O´Neal) also attacked. French´s division [Confederate] was held in reserve, facing the 14th A. C. [Federal].



 

 

060-50