Historic Markers Across Georgia



Howell's Mills



Marker ID: GHM 060-51
Location: Howell Mill Rd at Peachtree Creek bridge, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 49.417    W 084° 24.956
  33.823616    -84.41593
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2BB3
Howell's Mills Marker  



Text:

A notable ante-bellum land-mark established 1852, by Judge Clark Howell (1811-1882). Two buildings -- grist and sash-sawmills -- which stood on the North bank, and in the bend of, Peachtree Creek 1000 feet. west of the present bridge.

The old road crossed the creek on a wooden bridge to the west of the present highway and bridge. Surviving the war, the mills burned in 1879. They were the center of a rural community with a P.O. (1876-1891). Another enterprise was Foster´s Woolen Mill, established circa 1880 -- which stood on the S. bank of the creek, to the W. of this marker.

GHM 060-51 GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER 1989



 

 

060-51