Historic Markers Across Georgia



Geary's Three Bridges



Marker ID: GHM 060-56
Location: Northside Dr and Wesley Dr, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 49.152    W 084° 24.482
  33.8192    -84.40803
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2AQX
Geary's Three Bridges Marker  



Text:

July 19, 1864. Covered by the fire of Geary´s 12 guns (Union) on the ridge N. of the creek, together with the musketry of a heavy skirmish line, the division pioneers hastily built a foot bridge with timbers previously prepared.

Ireland´s Brigade quickly filed across under fire and seized the first ridge South of the creek Candy´s and Jones´ followed Ireland´s and cast up an entrenched bridgehead for the night.

By dawn of the 20TH, two other bridges were thrown across; roads to them were cut for wagon and artillery and Williams´ division crossed. These bridges were used after the war - their ancient remains visible as late as 1913.

GHM 060-56 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1955



 
Notes:


Note: The creek referred to is Peachtree Creek.

 

060-56