|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Georgia
33d N.J. State Flag
July 19, 1864. Covered by the fire of Geary´s 12 guns (Union) on the ridge N. of the creek, together with the musketry of a heavy skirmish line, the division pioneers hastily built a foot bridge with timbers previously prepared.
Ireland´s Brigade quickly filed across under fire and seized the first ridge South of the creek Candy´s and Jones´ followed Ireland´s and cast up an entrenched bridgehead for the night.
By dawn of the 20th, two other bridges were thrown across; roads to them were cut for wagon and artillery and Williams´ division crossed. These bridges were used after the war - their ancient remains visible as late as 1913.
GHM 060-56 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION – 1955