Historic Markers Across Georgia



McPherson's Troops at Shallow Ford



Marker ID: GHM 060-6
Location: Azalea Dr just west of Atlanta St/Roswell Rd, Roswell
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 34° 00.285    W 084° 21.176
  34.00475    -84.35293
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1W04
McPherson's Troops at Shallow Ford Marker  



Text:

Here, in 1824, Jacob R. Brooks established a ferry at Shallow Ford where the old Hightower Trail crossed the Chattahoochee.

July 10, 1864. Dodge´s 16th A.C., after a forced march of 27 mi. from the Sandtown Rd. (near Mabletown), via Marietta, reached Roswell. The troops waded the river & relieved Newton´s 4th A.C. div. in the trenches S. of it.

July 15. Logan´s 15th A.C. reached Roswell & crossed on the two bridges built by Dodge´s engineers. With the arrival of Blair´s 17th A.C., July 17, McPherson´s forces [Union] -- reassembled after a long march -- moved toward Decatur.

060-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 
Notes:

Located on the south side of Azalea Dr, west of Rowell Road. Parking is available about a ½ west of the sign. The sign is located along a paved trail. Located next to GHM 060-5 Garrard's Cav. & Newton's Division.



For more information on the history of Roswell, GA:

History of Roswell, GA


Roswell Historic District


 

060-6