Historic Markers Across Georgia



Montgomery-DeFoor House Site



Marker ID: GHM 060-63
Location: Moore's Mill Rd at Bolton Rd
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 49.245    W 084° 27.067
  33.82075    -84.45111
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WMNWAM
Montgomery-DeFoor House Site  Marker
Photo by Tim Walleker



Text:

James McC. Montgomery (1770 - 1842), of Jackson Co., Ga., War of 1812 veteran, settled in this vicinity about 1821. He resided in a 2-story house just S. of where Moore´s Mill Rd. joins. Owning land, both sides of the river, he had a private ferry until a State franchise, Dec. 25, 1837, made it a link in up-state travel to the Cherokee domain -- the house, a way-station on the route & a Post Office, 1825 - 1842.

In 1853 the heirs sold the 1000-acre tract, the house & ferry, to Martin DeFoor, who resided here until his death, 1879. The names of both owners survive as well-known roads.

GHM 060-63 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

060-63