Historic Markers Across Georgia



Stanley's & Wood's Sector



Marker ID: GHM 060-74
Location: Fork of Johnson and Lenox Rds, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 47.858    W 084° 20.981
  33.797633    -84.34968
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM17EF
Stanley's & Wood's Sector Marker  



Text:

A point in the intrenched line of the Federal 4th A.C., July 20-22, 1864. Stanley´s & Wood´s divs. marched to this sector from Buckhead via Old Cheshire Bridge Rd., LaVista, Williams Mill & Johnson Rds., crossing S. Fork of Peachtree Creek at Durand´s Mill.

These troops were shifted E. from Peachtree Rd. to fill an interval between that rd. & the 23rd A.C. on Briarcliff. They faced the salient angle of Atlanta´s outer defense line 1/4 mi. S. held by Stevenson´s div., Cheatham´s A.C. Early the 22nd, Cheatham withdrew to the city; 4th & 23d A.C. troops advanced to the siege line at the Augustus Hurt house.

GHM 060-74 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION -



 

 

060-74