Historic Markers Across Georgia



Wood's Div. 4th Corps



Marker ID: GHM 060-75
Location: Piedmont Ave at East Pelham Rd, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 48.086    W 084° 22.041
  33.801433    -84.36735
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2ERC
Wood's Div. 4th Corps Marker  



Text:

On adjacent hill was the right or western end of the intrenched line held by Gen. T.J. Wood´s div. of the Federal 4th A.C., July 20-22, 1864. The line extended E. 1.5 mile to intersection of Rock Spring & Cumberland Roads.

This was a part of the general movement on Atlanta by Federal forces from the N. E. which had begun at the upper Chattahoochee River crossings July 17. Wood advanced from this position in the general move toward Atlanta, early the 22d, where he occupied a sector of the line from which siege operations were carried on until terminated Sept. 2, by the surrender of the city.

GHM 060-75 - Georgia Historical Commission - 1956



 

 

060-75