Historic Markers Across Georgia



Augustus Hurt House



Marker ID: GHM 060-79
Location: Carter Presidential Center parking lot
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 46.007    W 084° 21.349
  33.766783    -84.35581
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM17ZR
Augustus Hurt House  Marker  



Text:

200 yds. N.E. stood the plantation residence of Augustus F. Hurt (1830-1921), built 1858 and razed by Federal forces, 1864; erroneously cited in Official Records as the Howard house.

July 22, 1864. 4th & 23d A.C. troops, in line with Federal advances on Atlanta, occupied this hill, having marched via old Williams Mill Rd. Sherman, together with Howard & Schofield, maintained command posts here during the afternoon while McPherson´s Army of the Tennessee fought defensively at & S. of the Ga. R.R. where two of Hood´s corps [CSA] attacked it. Here, McPherson´s body was brought from battlefield enroute to burial at Clyde, Ohio.

060-79 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

060-79