Historic Markers Across Georgia



Isom's Ferry



Marker ID: GHM 060-8
Location: Heard family cemetery, end of Heards Drive, Sandy Springs
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 55.257    W 084° 25.329
  33.92095    -84.42215
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1XH8
Isom's Ferry Marker  



Text:

Chattahoochee River, at mouth of Soap Creek, .75 mi. N.W., operated in the 1860´s by James Isom. Federal Army records cite it variously as Isham´s Ford or Ferry, Phillip´s Ferry, Cavalry Fd. The first of the Federal troops to pass the river was Cox´s div., Schofield´s 23d A.C. which crossed at Isom´s July 8, & was aligned on this ridge parallel to the river & covering the ferry. Hascall´s div. joined July 11 & by the 14th the adjusted corps line connected with the left of Howard´s 4th A.C. along the ridge of Mt. Vernon Rd. near Crossroads Church John Heard (1835-1931) took over Isom´s Ferry in 1868 & operated it until 1890.

GHM 060-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

060-8