Historic Markers Across Georgia



Stanley's Sector



Marker ID: GHM 060-81
Location: Ralph McGill Blvd just west of Linwood St, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 46.184    W 084° 21.400
  33.769733    -84.356667
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4D0J
Stanley's Sector Marker  



Text:

N.E. of this point (near Highland School) was the intrenched line held by Federal forces in the siege of Atlanta, July 22-Aug. 25, 1864. This was the extreme left of Howard´s 4th A.C.; its right flank rested at Tanyard Branch in Land Lot 107, 17th Dist., north of Grant Field. From E. to W. were Stanley´s, Wood´s & Newton´s divisions. Stanley´s left joined the rt. of the 23d A.C. near the Augustus Hurt house where a signal station was located. The 4th A.C. continued to occupy the same line throughout siege operations after which, under Stanley´s command, it was shifted around the west side of Atlanta in the move on Jonesboro.

GHM 060-81 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

060-81