Historic Markers Across Georgia



Land Lot 104



Marker ID: GHM 060-83
Location: West Peachtree Street at WSB, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 47.908    W 084° 23.250
  33.798466    -84.3875
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2HF1
Land Lot 104  Marker  



Text:

The area E. (L. L. 104, 17th Dist.), long known as Collier´s Woods, was part of the ante-bellum plantation of George W. Collier (1813-1903).

Clear Creek P.O. (1831-1839), probably in this land lot, was named for the stream flowing across it; old Montgomery Fy. Rd. traversed it.

July 18, 1864. Near its S. boundary, Confederate forces intrenced the outer Atlanta defense line from which, July 20, the troops of Walker´s & Bate´s divisions of Hardee´s Corps [Confederate] advanced N. to attack Federal forces posted near Collier Rd., in the Battle of Peachtree Creek -- a conflict that was confined entirely to the area west of Clear Creek.

GHM 060-83 - Georgia Historical Commission - 1956



 

 

060-83