Historic Markers Across Georgia



Gen. Cleburne's Headquarters



Marker ID: GHM 060-88
Location: Johnson Rd just west of Perry Blvd and Marietta Rd, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 47.29    W 084° 26.212
  33.788166    -84.43686
Waymark: WM6CG7
Gen. Cleburne's Headquarters Marker  



Text:

On hill 200 yards west stood the Anti-bellum residents of Archibald Whitehead, headquarters of General Patrick R. Cleburne, [Confederate] July 10-18, 1864.

After withdraw of Johnston´s army to this side of the river, night of July 9, his forces were posted at various points in this vicinity until Federal movements determined defensive measures. When ascertained, Johnson´s preparations for defense were disrupted by his relief of army command, night of July 17, and the appointment of Hood as his successor.

July 18, Cleburne´s division and the rest of Hardee´s A.C. were shifted to the valley of Peachtree creek between Peachtree and Howell Mill Roads.

GHM 060-88 - Georgia Historical Commission - 1988



 
Notes:

05-12-2009 –The marker was broken and the plaque was leaning against the post.

 

060-88