Historic Markers Across Georgia



Gen. Stewart's H'dq'rs



Marker ID: GHM 060-90
Location: Howell Mill Rd at Bishop St, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 56.8668    W 084° 45.408
  33.94778    -84.7568
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNWAG
Gen. Stewart's H'dq'rs Marker
Photo by Don Hogan



Text:

Site of the Ira R. Foster house which was occupied as headquarters by Gen. A. P. Stewart, [Confederate] during military operations N. of Atlanta, July 16-21, 1864. From here were issued the orders directing his troops in the Battle of Peachtree Creek, July 20, fought 1.5 miles N. Stewart´s corps, posted on the left of Confederate forces in the outer defense line of Atlanta, consisted of three divisions: from left to right, French´s, Waithall´s and Loring´s. Failing to break the Federal line at Peachtree Creek, Hood withdrew his forces to the city from which he sent Hardee´s A. C. against the Federal troops in East Atlanta, July 22.

GHM 060-90 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1956



 

 

060-90