Historic Markers Across Georgia



The 15th Corps Sector



Marker ID: GHM 060-95
Location: DeKalb Ave between Battery Place and DeGress Ave, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.499    W 084° 21.131
  33.758316    -84.35218
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1Y9Q
The 15th Corps Sector  Marker  



Text:

July 20, 1864. Posted on this ridge, astride the Georgia R.R. was the right flank of Hood´s old corps, (Confederate) Gen. B.F. Cheatham commanding.

July 22. These troops were withdrawn, before daylight, to the city fortifications. The vacated line was occupied by Logan´s corps, (Union) which was reversed to face westward.

Gen. Morgan L. Smith´s div. centered at the R.R., Lightburn´s brigade posted (between DeGress Ave. & Battery Place) west of the Hurt house; Martin´s, S. of it -- The R.R. cut separating them. The Confederate assault, afternoon July 22d, broke the lines of Lightburn & Martin´s brigades at the Decatur Rd. & the railroad cut.

GHM 060-95 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

060-95