Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Troup Hurt House



Marker ID: GHM 060-97
Location: DeGress Ave north of DeKalb Ave, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.550    W 084° 21.127
  33.759166    -84.35211
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1YAB
The Troup Hurt House  Marker  



Text:

The plantation house of Geo. M.T. Hurt, begun the Summer of 1862, never completed & never occupied as a residence, stood on the site of the stone church. It faced the Decatur Rd.

July 18, 1864. A sector of the outer line of Atlanta´s defense works was located just E. of the house, which was used as h´dq´rs by the 10th S. Carolina regt., (Confederate) of Manigault´s brigade.

July 22. The same troops, having withdrawn to the city the night before, returned late afternoon & attacked the Federal forces occupying the position, capturing & holding it until driven out. This is the moment shown in the Cyclorama of the Battle of Atlanta.

GHM 060-97 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

060-97