Historic Markers Across Georgia



Federal Signal Station



Marker ID: GHM 060-99A
Location: DeKalb and Moreland Avenues, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.603    W 084° 20.981
  33.76005    -84.34968
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2KBB
Federal Signal Station  Marker  



Text:

July 22, 1864. When 15th A.C. troops moved W. from line (at Candler St.) to the vacated Confederate line at the Troup Hurt house (at DeGress Ave.), a signal station was established by Lt. Samuel Edge in a tall pine near this site commanding a view of fortified Atlanta.

Lt. Edge reported the advance of Confederate forces astride the R.R. and when the 15th A.C. line was broken, he abandoned the station -- returning to it after the line was restored.

Near this site, in 1885, the battlefield was studied from a tower erected by the artists who created the Cyclorama; this established the viewing point of the big picture.

GHM 060-99A - Georgia Historical Commission - 1983



 
Notes:

This marker is located behind a chain link fence.

 

060-99A