Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgia Institute of Technology



Marker ID: GHM 060-99B
Location: Cherry St on Georgia Tech campus
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 46.372    W 084° 23.724
  33.772866    -84.3954
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2DDG
Georgia Institute of Technology  Marker  



Text:

Established by Act of the General Assembly Oct. 13, 1885: site selected Oct. 20, 1886. Administration Building erected, 1887. First session, Oct. 7, 1888.

In July, August 1864, this site was occupied by one of a series of forts connected by rifle-pits which 12 mi. in extent, encircled Atlanta. During siege operations the city was defended by Gen. Hood´s Army of Tennessee. Opposing this sector were the 4th and 20th Corps of the Federal Army of the Cumberland posted in the area between 10th and 14th Sts. The siege began July 22d and ended August 25.

GHM GHM 060-99B - Georgia Historical Commission - 1954



 

 

060-99B