Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Roswell Square Bicentennial Restoration Project



Marker ID:  
Location: on Roswell town square, Roswell
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 34° 0.918    W 084° 21.839
  34.0153    -84.36398333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

HISTORIC ROSWELL SQUARE
BICENTENNIAL RESTORATION PROJECT

FOR YEARS CALLED "THE PARK," THIS AREA WAS SET ASIDE BY ROSWELL´S FOUNDERS. PRESENT WALKS DUPLICATE ORIGINAL PATHS. PRESIDENT THEODORE ROOSEVELT SPOKE HERE FROM A BANDSTAND IN 1905. HISTORIC ROSWELL SQUARE BICENTENNIAL RESTORATION PROJECT (BANDSTAND AND FOUNTAIN) WAS DEDICATED BY SENATOR HERMAN E. TALMADGE, JULY 4, 1976.

CITY OF ROSWELL
W.L. MABRY, JR., MAYOR

COUNCILMEN
LUTHER S. COLBERT HAROLD E. SMITH

RALPH DELONG DON WHITE

WINSTON L. DOBBS FRANK M. WILBANKS

WILBUR K. AVERA, CITY ADMINISTRATOR
G.W. JOHNSON, DIRECTOR PARKS AND RECREATION

ROSWELL BICENTENNIAL COMMITTEE
ROSE A. POLATTE, CHAIRMAN
JANET T. RUSSELL, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
FRANCES MCGAFEE, TREASURER
JOYCE DOW, SECRETARY



 
Notes:

Located on the south side of Azalea Dr, west of Rowell Road. Parking is available about a ½ west of the sign. The sign is located along a paved trail. Located next to GHM 060-5 Garrard's Cav. & Newton's Division.



For more information on the history of Roswell, GA:

History of Roswell, GA


Roswell Historic District


 

060-A10